Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Nolan's First Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving morning we packed up the car for what looked like a week. Babies require ALOT of stuff! We were on our way, 15 minute drive, to my dads for Thanksgiving dinner. In the morning, I turned on the parade for Nolan to get a glimpse of before his morning snooze, on daddy. Awhile the boys napped, my sister and I tackled the turkey and other yummy dishes in the kitchen. Ok, I will be honest, I really didn't do much at all. Alaina deserves ALL the credit. My brothers kids came by for brunch and we decorated cupcakes with them! The main meal was beyond filling and as always we were cramming leftovers in the refrigerator.
Decorating cupcakes!

Cupcakes that look like little pies!

Parade watching!

My boys napping!

Everything tasted wonderful!

Mommy's little turkey!

Just a week and 2 days shy of being 6 months old, Ryan and I decided for thanksgiving we would let Nolan try a pea. I mushed up the tiniest bit and placed it on my finger for him to try. His facial expression was priceless! Little boy wanted nothing to do with that gross pea. After trying a pea I resumed feeding him his oatmeal. The taste or texture must have still been in his mouth because he was not happy about it. Aside from my immediate thoughts of "my baby doesn't like real food", "picky eater", "now he hates his cereal!" I them smiled at him and thought about how much my mom could not stand peas. How even though she did not like them, she would always make them when we had mashed potatoes for my dad to pile on top of his heaping pile. I felt like I could hear my mom laughing with all of us as we watched Nolan scrunch his face in disapproval. I felt happy. Thank you Nolan for making Grammy a part of your first thanksgiving memory.


Nolan tries a smushy pea, or maybe he's making that face because the Cowboys bib??

Seriously? We didn't even think to take a family picture on Thanksgiving? We have a self portait phone picture with off lighting...

This year aunt Peggy was in town from PA and came over for dessert and was on board for Black Friday shopping with Alaina and I this year. She stated that when we asked her my mom must have taken over her body because she agreed to the idea so fast. We got a few good finds out shopping, but it was great when Alaina had the idea to stop at McDonalds for a hot fudge sundae. That is 100% my mom to a tee! She always had the biggest sweet tooth. Aunt Peggy called Alaina out that we are definitely my moms daughters. :) From turning on the Christmas music when we got in the car, being out in the mayhem Black Friday shopping to the sundaes there is no denying it. Side note: McDonalds was out of ice cream! :(

Prior to going out shopping, Aunt Peggy was showing off her new birthday present! Hilarious!  

Friday  afternoon the little man and I met up with Kim and Colby at the mall awhile Ry played golf. We walked around, but neither of us really bought anything. We did have a nice lunch at Nordstroms cafe. That place is so delicious!
Colby trying on a new hat!
Oh little boy, you crack me up! Nolan relaxing with the foot up awhile out shopping! He kept it up until we got back to the car!

On Saturday we went to an autograph signing of Earl Weaver and he was so nice to let us get a picture of Nolan with him. Nolan just stared at him and they shared a moment. It was cute. That evening Ryan and I fed Nolan a little bit of squash! He's such a big boy now, it's crazy! He seemed to really enjoy it (phew!), but I kid you not the slight bit of sugar that is in that baby jar had the boy bouncing off the walls, and he only had about a tablespoon! He was hilarious. Nol was cracking up at our dog, Chuggins. It went on for about 15 minutes of just pure laughter. Nolan loves Chugs! He pretty much throws his body at him. During bath time aka normally calm down time he had a splish splash palooza! He was splashing, grabbing toys and didn't want to get out! Lets just say by bedtime he crashed hard and slept soundly.
Funny story: I told Ryan after the picture was taken, "I tried to stay out of the picture so that it was just them two". We go and look at the picture, I am 100% leaning in and smiling...oops! Haha!
How cute is it that Nolan and Earl are just looking right at each other though?!

First time eating real food! Squash!
Nolan & Chuggy! :)


Bath time reading

Little boy, you wore out your doggy!

Sunday was the icing on the cake for this wonderful long weekend. We got a late move for our morning trip to the grocery store. Nol Nol had his first experience of sitting in the shopping cart. He did great, but due to our late start by the time we got to the check out little boy had fallen soundly asleep in my arms. He stayed asleep for the transfer both into and out of his carseat and to his crib. Awhile Nolan napped we put up our Christmas tree. (Fake tree and colored lights = opposite my favorite tree) Since we are going to Disney World on Thursday I agreed that the fake would be suitable this year. After all, I have my Christmas tree candle! (Thanks Aun!) Now about the colored lights..someone please remind me to go buy the clear lights this year because every year I go through the decorations and realize that we have enough clear for outside and colored for inside. I don't have a problem with colored lights...my mom just always did the tree with clear lights (well, on the main tree, yes there were like 5!) and I want things to be like she had done them! Anyways, our tree is up and decorated. We had a family "halftime nap time" during football and it was a wonderful cuddly evening.

Big boy riding in a shopping cart!

Our tree is all decorated! (Left) and  Hayden & Lincoln were at Pop Pop's working had as well! (Right)

As nervous as I am about flying to Disney this week with an infant, I  beyond excited for the days off work to spend with my family!


1 comment:

  1. I love how much Mama Grubb was a part of this post! :) it made me smile!

    Also. The video of him eating peas is HYSTERICAL! I love how you were like "Take pictures Ryan!" haha I love you.

    ReplyDelete