Friday, August 22, 2014

Goodbye Paci!

He did it! Tonight was the night we decided to finally devote to saying goodbye to the pacifier. Nolan really was on attached to it at nap time and bedtime, at home. He doesn't ask for it at daycare, Aunt Ginnie's or anywhere else. He knows he can find it in his bed and so he depended on it at home. Earlier this week I watched a video of a little one with their Paci tied to some balloons and having a big send off. I thought to myself this is great! I showed Nolan the video and he wanted balloons and wanted to wave bye bye almost immediately. We didn't run out and get them though. Instead we took our time this week and continued to talk to him able where the Paci would go and how it can't come back. I also briefly mentioned the "Paci fairy" watching over him and delivering a present if he is a big boy and let's go!

After about 30 minutes in our backyard and a few "get it off" (referring to the balloon strings tied around the Paci) and "I don't want to!" he finally did it. He let go of the balloons! Only problem was we were too close to a power line and tree!!!!! So they didn't go to far and we can't play out back because he will see his Paci and want it!! (Don't worry we plan to retrieve it and throw it away)

Anyways, I panicked and needed the perfect send off for him so I quickly ran to Giant and bought more balloons! We had 1 more identical Paci that we rotated between and attached it to the balloons. No backing out now because we don't have any backups. So this time we went out front and gave another countdown and Nolan released his Paci into the sky!

The Paci fairy left a big boy certificate and ribbon, play doh, sidewalk chalk, Dora camera, animal crackers and M&M's!

Nolan loved all his goodies and we played with everything tonight. At bedtime we let him play around in his room a bit extra before going through his bedtime routine. He asked for Paci a few times. Of course during the extra playing he fell and smacked his head (he's ok!) on the corner of his bed and started immediately crying for his "Paci make me all better!!" He got extra cuddles and some extra milk and all was well. He cried and whimpered for about 30-40 minutes tonight asking for it. Ryan went in the first time to comfort him and I did the second time. After that, he has been sound asleep since! I am thankful everyday for my amazing little sleeper. Let's all keep our fingers crossed it stays this way!!

And what is the reason I am still awake and just now blogging? I put this video together as his farewell to Paci (and "baby" Nols)...and may have shed a tear or sobbed. The Paci comforted Nolan for 2 years. He had it during so many major moments thus far, his first trip to Disney, first hair cut and so many other "firsts". We are embracing him growing up and loving every minute, but watching that Paci fly away sure was emotional. So proud of my big boy.

 

 

 

One last thing, my vacation post is coming!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment