Friday, August 15, 2014

Worst money I ever spent.

We all have bad experiences with companies in life. Normally, there is always someone else you can talk to and like it or not, there is a resolution. Everyone experiences these things. It’s part of life. Now, I can get mad, but there is one company in particular that has made me go from mad to hatred. From this experience I have learned to research before purchasing and it really has made me think twice before using Groupon. Now, Groupon is not the company in question (per say), but they were the company that advertised this business and although Groupon was professional and efficient I am still hesitant to use them.

Let me take you back to June. Yes, June. Well really, early May. I purchased what seemed like an amazing deal on Groupon because after all, all the deals you see are amazing on there. I did not hesitate and clicked buy when I saw a 4 hour inflatable rental for somewhere in the $40ish ballpark. I thought to myself, brilliant! We will have an inflatable for Nolan’s birthday party at the park. I called the company Jump N’ Play and scheduled the inflatable immediately to ensure I would get the appropriate date. Of course I had to pay a $45 service fee and an additional $20 fee to be in a park. The deal already was starting to not look as good. I spent a month contacting the company asking for a Certificate of Liability Insurance which was required by the Recreation & Parks Department to have the inflatable on their grounds. This was a very normal request and the company repeatedly informed me that I would have the certificate by the time I needed it which was at the very, very, very latest June 6th the Friday before the party. The week of the party I was still following up with the company asking for the Certificate. It was that week they told me they would not have it in time.
In my line of work I actually work with Inflatable companies that are rented for events where I work. We require the very same certification and I have had companies get it to me within the hour—no joke. This was over a month which is extremely alarming and raised so many red flags. Needless to say, it was a mutual decision between me and the company to cancel the inflatable because THEY could not provide their certificate.

Well, wouldn’t you know it Jump N’ Play has a no refunds policy. However, in this situation they agreed that they would process me a full refund because THEY couldn’t provide the necessary documentation. I asked for an email to have in writing that I would receive my refund. I received this,

 
Over the past 2 months I have called and emailed the company on numerous occasions to check on the status of my refund. Originally, I was told that my refund was delayed due to the 4th of July holiday – understandable. I followed up the following week and was told “there would be a rush delivery put on it”. Once again, great news. Needless to say, all of this was complete BS. I followed up daily for far too long and was told so many excuses, they need to check with finance department where the check is, the check was sent to the park and had to be returned and resent, call back in an hour, they will call me back (never once did I get a call back), they are in a meeting, the system is down and the list goes on. Additionally, I was denied the ability to talk to anyone else because “she was the person handling me case”.   
So, yesterday (Aug 14th) I once again called to check the status of my refund to which I was put on hold for 10 minutes and told that “we re-evaluated your case and you actually will not be getting a refund anymore. You can reschedule an inflatable with us because the reason was due to the park not having power” Um, obviously this set me off…I had been so calm every single damn phone call to this woman and now she has the nerve to for one say “we re-evaluated” and two tell me no you don’t get your money. Who the crap is “we”??? I have asked for someone else numerous times and been denied. Additionally, I have in writing that I will get a refund because THEY couldn’t provide insurance.
Anyways, I am thoroughly convinced that this woman (Cheryl) is running a shady business and the phone number is just her cell phone. She is using children’s birthday parties to steal from people. I filed through the Better Business Bureau (really wish I would have looked there before I purchased) and she is an awful person. So many complaints about not refunding, inflatable’s not showing up for the parties and so on.
Although to some, it is not even that much money I had to spend ($69) because the Groupon, but to a business it should be nothing. What happened to customer service? Also, there is a principle. I was ensured I would get my money and now I am being told something completely different. I have spent far too much time these past 2 months trying to track down something that was never even in the works. She wanted me to forget about it, but I am still not willing to do it. What she did is not right. Sadly, she is doing it to others.
Her company is actually located out of Georgia, but the Groupon stated serving Maryland, Virginia and DC. However, the only phone number is Georgia (once again I think just a cell). I am pretty certain this woman is a scam. I am doubtful an inflatable would have even shown up. I guess I can find out now that I can reschedule one, only problem is I have tried to call 3 times today and she doesn’t answer my calls. Screening my calls? Possibly.
The phone number to this horrible “business” is 404-695-8440. Do with it whatever you wish.   
I think I just work for a Department that prides ourselves on customer service and maybe my expectations are too high? I don’t think they are in this case, but maybe.
I have learned from this and awhile I am staying away from Groupon (even though they were great with customer service and did refund my purchase) I really wish they did more research before advertising such horrible companies like this one.
I just wish something could be done because this woman is awful.

  

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Just...wow. I think you're right--nothing would have showed up even if you didn't need the insurance cert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I don't think I would have ever seen the inflatable. Just sad someone is out there targeting kids parties!

    ReplyDelete